A new year means new resolutions! How is going to the gym working out for you, did you already quit smoking and are you eating more healthy already? These are all wonderful goals to strive for and I encourage you to persevere. But wait…don’t we all fail terribly at new years resolutions…every year?…Meehh.. According to the Washington Post we kind of do, at least…a lot of us do. Unless we tell others about our goals or give ourself a little reward now and then….Cranberry Oatmeal Cake, YUM!!!!!!
Yup you’ve read that well, Cranberry Oatmeal cake! It’s the perfect, delicious combination of the healthy stuff and the other not-so-healthy-stuff (Cake= sugar + butter). Well, rewarding yourself doesn’t say anything about how much sugar and butter you can put in, does it? and there’s healthy oats and cranberries involved, so I say that should equal the unhealthy-ness.
Okay, I understand you’re all working hard on your resolutions and cake, sugar and butter doesn’t sound really healthy.
I’ll try to make it feel a little better for you. Last week a harvard study, that started in 1984 and followed more than 100.000 people, confirmed that eating oatmeal every day leads to a longer life span and less chance on heart diseases… I vote for cranberry oatmeal cake! 🙂
If you’re convinced by now to have some cranberry oatmeal cake or if you are simply craving for it right now, skip this part and go make it, quick, Hurry up it’s delicious!
So you’re not convinced yet? I gotta try a little harder then I guess. Yes, the ‘cake’ part is not-so-healthy, but the oatmeal is really healthy, what about the ‘cranberry’ part? Cranberries are tiny, little, red ‘health-bombs’. They’re full of vitamin C and E, Fibres, Antioxidants and enhances your mouth health. They outrank nearly all fruits and veggies on healthiness. Don’t believe me? Go Google it yourself. Did I convince you already, I bet you’re at least curious, now go check out the pics they WILL make your mouth water (don’t drool on your keyboard) and then go make this super-delish-yummy cranberry oatmeal cake yourself.
Almost forgot, for all people without any new years resolutions -> Go make this cake, now!
I’d love to know what you think of this Cranberry Oatmeal Cake! Leave a comment and rate this recipe below!
The Cranberry Oatmeal Cake recipe
- 1½ cups (350mL) hot water
- 1 cup (90gr) (Organic) Whole oats
- 1 cup (180gr)Brown sugar
- 1 cup (100gr)white sugar
- ½ cup (120gr) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cup (160gr) All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup (80gr) dried cranberries
- ¼ cup (60gr) butter
- ½ cup (90gr) Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- ⅔ cup (60gr) coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Combine the hot water and the oats and let it soak while preparing the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the butter, both sugars and beat in the eggs untill it's a 'cream'
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add hald the flour mixture to the butter mix, followed by the soaked oats and add the remaining flour. Add the cranberries. Mix between additions.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes.
- When the cake is done and removed from the oven, turn the oven to broil.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, and milk together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, keep stirring. Boil for about 1 minute and add the coconut.
- Pour it evenly out over the cake and broil in the oven for 1 minute.
- Time to enjoy!