I was thinking today about how I could make an easy, sweet and tasty jam. I had some peaches laying in my fruit bin for a couple of days already, so I decided to give it a go. Besides, I never tried peach jam before and it’s summer so the peaches are at their best right now, which makes it a perfect time to make some peach jam. And well, it couldn’t be any easier than this, really!
All you need is a pan, a potato masher or hand blender and some peaches, sugar and something to gelate the jam. In this recipe I used Agar Agar which is a natural gelling agent, but pectine (or just plain sugar only) will work fine as well. I think it might even be possible to make peach jam without sugar and only use the fruit and the Agar Agar to get a more healthy variant of this jam, although the sugar also works as a preservative. (I’ll consider trying this next time)
The Peach Jam
- 5 Peaches
- ¾ cup Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1½ tbl.spoon of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Agar Agar
- Peel and slice the peaches. To peel the peaches, put them in boiling water for 20 seconds, then rinse them with cool water and then you can rub the skin gently off.
- Place the slices in a pan and sprinkle sugar and the lemon juice over the fruit. Let this gently boil without stirring, until the fruit juices are released from the fruit and the sugar is dissolved.
- Then use a potato masher or hand blender to puree the fruit. I stopped at the point where I still had some fruit pieces in the jam, but you can keep blending untill it's smooth if you like.
- When boiling add the Agar Agar and gently stir until the Agar Agar is dissolved.
- Let it boil gently for about 25 minutes and then pour the hot jam into sterilized jars. Screw on the lids and let the jam return to room temperature.
If you like this recipe don’t hesitate to rate the recipe or comment, or even better: both!