I had never heard of Key Lime Pie before, until I watched Dexter’s ‘Easy as a pie” episode a few year’s ago. In this episode the ‘key lime pie’ plays a role throughout the episode, where Dexter eventually agrees to euthanize a friend by using a poisoned piece of the best key lime pie. Not all that happy but, since then the idea to make a key lime pie myself got into my head.. Although it’s a few years later now, I finally made one, and it was gone before I knew it. I must have ate 4/5 of that entire pie in just three days. Whoops! After February 15, new year’s resolutions are done for anyway, right?
Winter is now slowly, slowly making place for spring (hope so), but the mind is already thinking of summer. These last few winter months pass so slowly that it makes you crave for warm sun rays on your face. Back here in Holland it’s about 40°F at the moment and it looks like it isn’t going to get any warmer soon, although we had the first sunny days this week, that felt nice but it only makes me long for summer even more.
All these summerthoughts made me think of making this refreshing Key Lime Pie, Florida’s official pastry. I found that in Florida, it’s about 80°F right now, just not fair right? (Unless you’re living there 😉 ).
Making the pie crust
The crust for this pie is so freaking delicious, I wanted to use Oats Cookies (see the pictures) for the crust and that turned out delicious and it’s easier than easy. To make the crust you just have to whiz the cookies in a food processor, add a little melted butter. Mix it, put it in the pie dish and bake for 10 minutes in the oven. Can it be any easier than this?
Filling The Key Lime Pie
The filling is nearly as easy as the crust. You take a little lime zest, a lot of lime juice and a can of sweet condensed milk. Mix that together with three large egg yolks and you’re done. Bake it for another 10 minutes and let it cool down completely before you add sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle a little more lime zest on top. Now comes the hard part, not eating it all by yourself in such little time you feel bad about it 😉 See the full recipe below.
Key lime pie recipe
- ⅔ pound (300gr) Oat cookies (HobNobs)
- ⅓ pound (150gr) Melted butter
- 1½ tbsp fresh lime zest
- ⅔ cup (155mL) freshly squeezed lime juice from about 10 Key limes or 4 regular limes
- 1 tin (+- 14oz or 397gr) of sweet condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (175mL) Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp Lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Whizz the cookies to crumbs using a food processor or find any other way to crush them!
- Mix the crumbled cookies together with the melted butter and press in a +/- 10 inch (26cm) diameter pie dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool completely
- Take the fresh lime zest and three egg yolks and put them in a medium bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick. (about 5 minutes)
- Add the sweet condensed milk and mix it again for a few minutes until thick again.
- Add in the fresh lime juice and gently whisk it through untill everything is well mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for another 10 minutes in the oven.
- If you want to add whipped cream to your key lime pie, make sure the pie has completely cooled down!