Spicy Mexican green bean salad…errhhmm…yumm…Oh, how do I love spicy Mexican food every now and then. Especially on warm summer days accompanied with friends and a cold beer to cool down! And… this recipe, compared to a lot of other Mexican recipes, is healthy…very healthy and very simple to make.
I must confess, me eating healthy Mexican food is only so I can justify that big fat bowl of hot nachos with fresh guacamole standing next to this green bean salad, right there outside the pictures 😛
Last week I started at my new job and since then we’ve both been too busy to cook up extensive dishes. Nowadays I’m back home around 7:15 pm, so we’re keeping the food and recipes easy and quick..and healthy. And so far that’s working out just great. This Mexican green bean salad fits in perfect, we really were surprised by how tasty a simple dish like this can be.
Green bean salad shopping…
What you’ll need to put on your grocery list for this Mexican green bean salad is:
- Onions (white & red)
- Green beans
- Sour Cream
- Pickled Jalapeño peppers
- White vinegar
- Dried Oregano & Fresh Parsley
- Sea Salt
I bet that you already have a lot of these ingredients right there in you kitchen. If so,the shopping shouldn’t be that hard. Making the green bean salad basically comes down to chopping stuff, cooking beans and tossing it all together. Chopping, cooking, tossing…sounds easy right?
Mexican green bean salad with jalapeños
First things first, so start by washing the beans, snap the ends off and cut them in half. Meanwhile bring a small pan of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and let them simmer untill they’re still crisp but tender. Drain the beans and give them a cold shower to cool them down and let them drain completely. You want them to be cold! Put them in a large bowl and set aside.
Now you can go on by mixing the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, onion, sliced jalapeños, oregano, chopped parsley and seasalt together. Pour this into the bowl with beans and mix well. Let that sit while you continue.
Chop the red onions like you’ve never chopped before, and slice the avocado like a boss!
(see the movie in this post to slice avocado like a boss!)
Gently mix everything together and you’re ready to serve. Watch out that you don’t crush the avocado when mixing, you want it to look great right?
The green bean salad recipe
- 1 lb (450gr) Green beans, snap of the ends and cut in half
- 1,5 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- ½ tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1 tbps Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup pickled Jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, cut in cubes or wedges
- Bring a small pan of salt water to a boil
- Add the beans (halved with ends snapped off), let simmer until crispy but tender (about 4-6 minutes)
- Cool down the beans under cold water and drain completely. Add into a salad bowl.
- Mix together the white onion, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, jalapeños, oregano, parsley and seasalt and add to the beans. Let sit while you continue.
- Chop the red onion and slice the avocado and mix gently into the bowl with beans. Serve with tomato wedges on top.