It’s fully spring now and we’re already heading towards summer (at least in my tiny little part of the world)! And this time of the year screams for simple but tasty pasta’s!
Those evenings that the sun is still out, the air is warm and you want to eat outside and you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. That’s when simple tasty pasta’s come in!
Sitting outside in the evening sun with a tasty pasta in front of you taking in those last warm sunrays is so much better then standing in the kitchen too long don’t you think? (is that coming from me? :$)
Here’s Lemon-Pesto-Pasta to the rescue!
You get home from work, drop your bag, grab some refreshing lemon-water from the refridgerator and 20 minutes later you’re outside in the sun enjoying your lemon pesto pasta!
That sounds quite perfect doesn’t it? A little too much? Let’s see if we can make it in 20 minutes.
Place a pan with water on high heat and add the pasta you like. We did spaghetti today, but pasta like penne, shells or fusilli is even better because they take in all the sauce and become tiny, little flavor bombs. Now heat a wok on medium-high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Throw in a mashed clove of garlic and add in fresh spinach just before the garlic becomes brown. Start cutting the zucchini in bite sized cubes. When the spinach is all wilted, scoop it out and set apart, add in the zucchini cubes and fry for a few minutes, add salt, pepper and dried basil.
If doing right, we’re about 10 minutes on our way, the pasta will be done by now. Drain the pasta in a colander and add it to the zucchini. Throw in the scoops of green pesto, add some sliced sundried tomatoes and throw the spinach back in before it’s cooled down. Toss it around until all ingredients are mixed up well.
Squeeze out the juice of 1 lemon over the pan and toss around again. Crumble a big chunk of feta cheese over the pasta and toss one more time.
You’re almost done and you’re about 17 minutes underway now. Chop fine some fresh basil leaves and crumble a bit more feta cheese. Serve the dish on a plate or in a bowl, sprinkle the fresh basil and feta crumbs on top, splash a bit of olive oil on the lemon pesto pasta and bam! There’s your lemon pesto pasta in 19 minutes! Now you got one minute left to grab another glass of cool lemon water and get you and your lemon pesto pasta to the garden!
The lemon pesto pasta recipe
- ⅔ pound (300gr) Pasta (penne, fusilli, spaghetti, shells)
- 1 pound (500gr) fresh Spinach
- 1 Zucchini, regular size, sliced in cubes
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Green pesto
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 8 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz (100gr) Feta cheese
- Fresh basil leafs, sliced
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- Heat a pan with water on high heat and add the pasta (cook following the packaging instructions)
- Heat a wok on medium-high heat, add a splash of olive oil. When hot, add the garlic and after 30 seconds add the spinach.
- When all spinach is wilted, remove and set aside.
- Add the zucchini cubes to the wok and sautee them. Bring to taste with salt, pepper and add in the dried basil.
- By now, the pasta should be ready. Drain in a colander and add the pasta to the wok and give it a toss.
- Add the sundried tomatoes, green pesto and the spinach to the wok. Toss around again.
- Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon and crumble in ¾ of all the feta. Give it a good final toss.
- Serve on plates or in bowls and finish by sprinkling the fresh basil leafs and crumbling the remaining feta over the plates.