I can hear you think right now! Kohlrabi….What in the world is Kohlrabi!?… maybe you know it by its other name: Turnip Cabbage. It’s not exactly turnip and not exactly cabbage, it’s turnip cabbage. A fresh white, green or purple vegetable, which not a lot of people seem to know, or ever used in a dish. This week I found it in my bag of organic vegetables I pick up every week at a local vegetable garden just outside my city. Kohlrabi is something I never used before, I’m not even sure if we have ever eaten it before. But hey, I love new things, it makes you creative. So let’s give this new veggie a try!
Since I had 2 super ripe avocado’s laying around and 3 huge, super ripe mango’s too I had to think of a way to combine these three….Noodles! Why not? Noodles, avocado, mango are great together and since kohlrabi is a cabbage I’m quite sure it’ll fit perfectly well in this avocado noodle salad!
I bet you can make this avocado noodle salad within 10 minutes if you’re good in peeling mango’s and avocado’s! It’s a super easy recipe and…super delicious and fresh! Top it off with some chopped chili pepper, that extra bite is perfect when it’s hot outside! It helps you to cool down a little. By the way, if you like it spicy, make sure you also check out this Rogan Josh Lamb curry and Delicious Beetroot Thoran. Both recipes from India, where they know how to cool down with spicy food!
Making this avocado noodle salad
This avocado noodle salad takes 3 easy steps.
- Cut the kohlrabi and marinate in the tasty dressing
- Cut the avocado and mango into little cubes ( 1/2 inch)
- Cook the noodles
You can cut off the skin of the kohlrabi (soft parts of the skin can stay on) and after that cut it into round slices. Cut those sizes into long thin sticks, or whatever you like. If you have a spiralizer, you could use that! The thinner, the better it will mix into the salad later. Oh yeah, don’t get scared by the kohlrabi’s smell when you cut it, it has that typical but strong cabbage smell. It always makes me think ‘why am I eating this’, but then in the end it turns out fine :)… As for many Asian (inspired) dishes, a dressing with Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lime and rice vinegar it’s nothing new, I just love that combination of flavors. It’s so freakin’ good!
Here, these videos will make you a Mango & Avocado cutting master:
- Rice or Egg noodles for 2 persons
- 1 big Kohlrabi
- ½ fresh red chili
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe mango
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Start with making the dressing, toss the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir together.
- Peel and then cut or spiralize the kohlrabi and let the pieces marinate in the dressing for at least 10 - 15 minutes.
- Put a pan of water on high heat for the noodles
- Start cutting the mango and avocado into cubes of ½ an inch.
- When the water boils, add the noodles and cook following the instructions on its packaging.
- Drain the noodles, and rinse under cold water to cool down.
- Finely chop the chili to add some spice!
- Add the noodles into serving bowls or plates. Then, add the kohlrabi and pour the dressing evenly over the bowls or plates. Now you add the mango and avocado and sprinkle the chopped chili over the dish.
- And...That was it already, enjoy!