Although summer is over and the temperature outside is falling (it’s already so cold that I need a scarf when I go out!) today is a beautiful day: as I’m writing this blog I’m warmed by wonderful autumn sunbeams that shine in through the window…..You know the feeling..? It’s so great. A little moment like this can really make my day!
Another something that can really make my day is a good, mouthwatering piece of pie!….Finnish Blueberry pie! Therefore, with the last blueberries of this season I decided to make a super simple, super delicious Finnish blueberry pie :) And believe me, a piece of this Finnish blueberry pie will make your day too!
This Finnish blueberry pie is a traditional recipe from Finland and is called ‘Mustikkapiirakka’. At firs it looks like if you’re never gonna pronounce that word, but give it a try and it’s easier then you think!
I like to know how certain food or recipes are originally called so here it is again for you to try: Mustikkapiirakka
All you need are some basic ingredients for the tasty crust and for the topping: blueberry jam and off course lots of blueberries!
So don’t wait until the blueberries are no longer available, you’ve got to try this pie today!! :)
By the way, this crust is really great to use as a basis for lots of different sorts of cakes. So you can really use this recipe to make you’re own favorite! Just try it out and please let me know when you’ve found another great flavor combination for this crust! (I guess peach or strawberry works great also on this crust) Share your ideas in a comment below!
Finnish Blueberry Pie (Mustikkapiirakka) Recipe
- 2 / 3 cup (150 gr) Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 gr) White caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) Sour cream
- 1¾ cup (200 gr) Selfraising flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- ½ pound (250 gr) Blueberry or Forest fruit jam (marmalade)
- 2 / 3 pound (300 gr) Fresh Blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Whisk the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and creamy.
- Mix in the eggs, then the sour cream. Sift in the flour and the salt and mix to a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter in a greased pie dish (ø 9-10 inch / ø 24-26 cm)
- Make sure the batter is flat and equally diistributed over the pie dish.
- Put it in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool almost completely.
- Flip the cake out of the pe dish carefully (or leave it in) and spread out the jam completely over the crust.
- Add the blueberries on top of the jam until your Finnish blueberry pie is covered in blueberries completely!
- That's it, enjoy your pie!
- I used a ø10 inch (26 cm) pie dish