WTF!? was what I thought when Renate mentioned green pasta with…yogurt, then after giving it a second thought it made me curious and..well..why not? It’s actually one of Ottolenghi’s famous recipes. If you don’t know Ottolenghi you should definitely visit his page or check one of his cookbooks. We have his book “Plenty“, it’s filled with wonderful all veggie recipes…even when you are a sworn meat-eater you’ll love his recipes!
Eh..where were we?…Making green pasta with yogurt and peas…The recipe actually is really easy and you’ll have this dish served in under 30 minutes. Tasty, easy and quick that’s what we all want don’t we? Well here it is.
Greek yogurt & peas
Have you ever mixed yogurt with peas until you’ve got a creamy light-green sauce? This sauce is so tasty and matches so perfectly well with pasta, fresh spinach and the cherry tomatoes. The sauce basically comes to this; add the yogurt, olive oil, garlic and a handful of peas together and whizz them until you get this sauce. You could add more peas if you want the sauce to be a little more punchy, but if you like it creamy and subtle, just keep to a handful of peas.
Spinach and cherry tomatoes
Although we really love Ottolenghi’s version using fresh basil leafs and pine nuts we gave this green pasta our own twist. Not because we don’t like basil and pine nuts..we love them! But we simply didn’t have them ;) and we did like the idea of the yogurt-pea-sauce so we tweaked a little and made it (maybe even more) healthy by adding spinach leafs and oven-grilled cherry tomatoes. Yay that tastes SO good! We really love the explosion of flavors in this green pasta. Just check the original recipe if you prefer the pine nuts and basil version!
The recipe: Green pasta with spinach, oven-grilled tomatoes & yogurt-pea sauce!
- 2½ (500gr) Cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 pound (500gr) Fresh or frozen peas
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) Olive oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 pound (500gr) Pasta of your liking
- 2 tsp chile flakes
- 2 handful of fresh spinach
- 30 cherry tomatoes (approx. 5 each)
- ½ pound (250 gr) Feta cheese (crumbled)
- Combine the yogurt, a handful (2/3 cup or 100gr) of the peas, 6 tablespoons of Olive oil and the garlic and whiz it with a food processor or handblender to a uniform light green sauce. Transfer to a large bowl or pan.
- Preheat the oven-grill and bring a large pan of water to the boil, add salt and cook the pasta until it's al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the tomatoes under the oven grill or when you don't have a grill put them in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Now cook the chile flakes in a small frying pan in a big splash of oil for about 4 minutes to make chile oil.
- Warm the remaining peas in some boiling water and then drain.
- Drain the cooked pasta and shake of the excess water. Add the pasta gradually to the sauce and mix well until the pasta is covered in sauce. Add the warm peas, spinach and feta and toss gently.
- Serve on plates and don't forget to splash the chile oil and divide the grilled cherry tomatoes evenly over the plates!